Poplar Grove promotes the spirit of the lower Cape Fear region through education, conservation, and preservation.
We will create opportunities to:
1) reflect upon the practices of a self-sustaining farm through the history of enslavement, tenant farming, legislation, technology, and the heritage arts
2) promote the values and traditions of local communities and cultural landscapes as it reflects past, present and future human activity
3) initiate meaningful dialogue that builds upon the values of respect, empathy, cultural diversity, multiple perspectives, and democratic principles
4) share the significance and spirit of place as a shared resource by preserving the natural habitat and architectural harmony indigenous to the lower Cape Fear region
5) make available public documents and resources relevant to the families who descended from this plantation site as well as the Nixon plantations at Porters Neck and Rocky Point, NC, and other descendants from neighboring plantation sites along the Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor in Pender County, NC, and northeast Wilmington, New Hanover County, NC.
For further questions/inquiries, please email Caroline Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org